Monday, June 06, 2005

Current Mood: exuberant
Currently Playing: Everybody Walk the Dinosaur

Laura Quimby, Age 8

There was this YA novel that I read when I was like 13, and it was about this pre-teen girl who went to work at this old stodgy woman's house for extra money for the summer- I think it was Are You There God, It's Me Margaret? Whatever it was, I'm now living it. I took this extra little mini-job.. This woman who lives like 2 min. from SLC needs someone to come walk her dog for an hour mon-fri, so I'm going on my lunch hour and walking her dog. You may be saying to yourself "Laura. You don't like animals", and you're right, but this woman is giving me $10 a day to come and walk for an hour. It doesn't sound like much, but it's basically an extra $200 a month to go out and take a walk. So, anyhow, I should say that she's really really nice, but she retains certain old woman qualities that you can't really blame her for.
First of all, she seems to think my name is Allison.
Conversation today:
"Oh, Hi Allison."
"Hi." (I thought maybe it would pass..)
(Says to dog) "Jenny, this is Allison"
"No, Laura."
"Oh, right, Laura,sorry. I was just at physical therapy, and my therapist's name is Allison, sorry."
Time Lapse- 2 seconds.
"Okay, Allison, let me show you how to put her collar on."

Second- She has stodgy old woman ways
Conversation this evening:
"Hi, Mrs. C, this is your dog walker, Laura"
"Oh, hello."
"Hi, I was wondering- tomorrow we have this big project at work and I'm not supposed to take a lunch, do you think I could walk the dog before work?"
"Well, Laura, what my dog needs is a walk in the middle of the day. But if you can't do it tomorrow, I could just ask my gardner to do it."
(Lady, it's one day. Just one. For extenuating circumstances.)
Which leads me to number three.. the lady has money.

My gardner? Oh course there's a gardner.
Other things she said to me today-
"Sorry I'm late. Do you know that the valet parking at the hospital today took an entire half hour? I couldn't believe it."
"If you see a truck when you come back, it's okay. I'm having all of my furniture reupholstered and delivered."
and just in case you missed it...
"If you can't do it tomorrow afternoon, I can just ask the gardner to do it..."

I have to say though,it's a pretty sweet job. I have my little Harry Potter book on CD that I listen to and I just walk around the neighborhood and look at the enormous houses...

And finally, something Rob said tonight that I'd like to share-
"I feel it's my duty to bring Crunk to the people."- Rob MacInnis

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice, check out these cool t-shirts.

http://www.threadless.com/?streetteam=kraftyone

thanks

Lola said...

Hey, you know what sucks? When people try to use the blogs of people they dont know to advertise.