Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Let's Discuss the Word "Easy"

I downloaded some recipes. I thought I should start pseudo-cooking, because it's cheap and healthier. These recipes have a difficulty level on them, and I chose a bunch that said 'easy'.

My definition of easy is
(1) Eggs
(2) sandwiches
(3) going to Pita Pit and getting a chicken pita (and even that's a bit of a pain, once you drive there, stand in line, wait for your chicken to cook and go down the line of what you want in your pita).

Let me tell you what was included in my 'easy' recipe.
(1) Cleaning and cutting vegetables. Real vegetables, not frozen.
(2) Steaming the vegetables. Not in the microwave, in a steamer. I didn't even know we had a steamer until Rob showed me that our pot had a handy little steaming bucket.
(3) After that, I had to saute the vegetables
(4) Add eggs to skillet. (That I can do).
(5) THEN, broil the damn skillet in the oven.

Reasons why this is NOT an easy recipe.
(1) I had to do three different things to the vegetables
(2) I had to use three different cooking containers.
(3) I had to use the range and the stove.
(4) Anything involving steaming is not easy.

Which is why I'm having Pita Pit tonight.

4 comments:

academicecs said...

Any food derived from a place described as being a pit has a rather disturbing image. Please reconsider the steaming process.

jon jon said...

Steaming is quite possibly the single easiest way to cook a thing. You boil water, hang said thing over water, wait for a while. You can't burn it, hell, you can't really even over cook it (you can, but that takes more skill than just cooking it). Love the steam.

-J

Lola said...

I don't love the steam because I hate waiting for the water to boil. When I'm hungry, I'm hungry!

sprovtsoff said...

there is no reason why you would have to steam, and then saute the veggies. why are you cooking those poor, defenseless veggies to death?