Friday, March 13, 2009

"No, Laura, you know what we're going to to do when we get home? I'm going to thumb wrestle you until you bleed."

I went downtown to meet with this guy. I parked in the parking ramp. Let me just clarify that all of the parking ramps in downtown Kzoo are owned by the same company. They all take debit cards. Except, naturally, the one I parked in.
I'm on my way out after meeting with this grant guy, and I try to give the lady my debit and she's like "Oh, we don't take debit. The other ones do, but we don't."
Because that makes sense.
That's like "Oh, this McDonald's doesn't sell cheeseburgers, sorry."
There is the natural expectation, when all of the other ramps take cards, that this one will follow suit. And when it doesn't IT REALLY KIND OF MESSES UP YOUR DAY.
I'm like "um.. okay. I don't have any cash."
She says "Well, do you have any change?"
Don't you think I would have thought of that?
No lady, I don't have any change.
I owe $2.
She tells me I have to back up, turn around and go get my parking validated. So I turn around and start going back into the ramp, and I hear the lady behind me yelling "YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!!"
Ya think?
As you can see, I have a chip on my shoulder as far as this lady goes.
Anyways, I go back to the office where grant guy works and, don't you know, they don't validate parking.
The nearest ATM is two blocks away. So I start walking.
I'd just like to remind you that I'm 38 weeks pregnant right now.
I get to the ATM and put my pin in, and it tells me it's the wrong pin. Then I remember that, twice in the last four months, my bank has sent me new debit cards with a note that says "there's been a security breach. we have to cancel your card." So, I don't know my pin anymore.
I try a few different things. They don't work.
Now I call my bank. They put me on hold for a decade, and then they come back on and say "you tried too many times. now we have to send you a new pin in the mail." They can ONLY send it through the mail.
Cool. I guess I'll go home and wait for that.
Fools!
I am now stuck in downtown Kzoo because I cannot come up with $2. Rob can't come bail me out because WE SOLD HIS CAR A FEW WEEKS AGO.
I really can't emphasize to you how pathetic you feel when you're stranded somewhere over $2.
Here's how I eventually get out: I remember that the store where I buy my running gear validates parking. So I go there and buy a $20 pack of running socks so that I can ask them to validate my parking. Repeat: I spend $20 to get a $2 validation.
By the time I get out, the shift has changed and someone new is in the toll booth. That lady is so lucky that her shift was over, because I'd had a brisk walk and plenty of time to come up with some choice words for her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who is this Grant, guy? Laura, if you are going to be unfaithful at least try not to blog about it.

So is he the reason one-arm has...one arm? bad genes?

Stupid Grant