Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

Want to know what one of my biggest regrets of all time is? It's pretty tame, but it bugs me nonetheless.
Not paying attention in college.
I graduated with a good GPA and all, but I totally coasted by. There is WAY MORE I could have learned, and now that I'm old and bored of guys and parties and whatever else it was I did for 5 years, I sit around thinking about how much stuff I could have learned if I had paid the slightest bit of attention to the $20,000 worth of undergraduate education I received.
Now I WANT to be in the damn classes and I can't AFFORD them any more.
DAMN YOU! This is why I should have joined the Peace Corp or something like that before I came to college.

Rob and I just got in a big fight about irony, because he's teaching his kids about irony tomorrow and he and I don't think irony are the same thing. In my opinion:

Not irony, just really bad luck: Ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife.
Irony: Walking in to a knife factory and finding ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife.

Possibly irony, but I'm not really sure: A no smoking sign on your cigarette break

And lastly, what my BFF J.D. has to say about Holden-
"The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty but, almost, hopelessly impaled on it."
I'm gonna find J.D. and we're gonna get a cabin out in the woods together and roast marshmallows and hang.
Wouldn't that be ironic?
No. No, it wouldn't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laura, I'm no expert on irony, but I believe your examples of "Irony" and "Non-irony" are pretty much saying the same thing. you just put the irony one to a setting by adding in the knife factory. nice try though laura, but i would not be on your side in this very important argument.
but your blog gave me inspiration for my first class tonight, i'll pay attention just for you!-Erin A