Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Secret World of Donkeys

Today I was on Petfinder.com again, pretending like I can afford a dog. There was a section for barnyard animals, so I thought I'd go and see what they had. Do you know they have rescue shelters for donkeys? They've got all kinds of rescued donkeys and horses on there. I also found this group called the Turning Pointe Donkey Rescue, and this is their mission statement-

Who We Are
Turning Pointe Donkey Rescue is operated by volunteers who are
committed to Donkeys and giving them a second chance, a
Turning Pointe, in their lives.

Turning Pointe Donkey Rescue became a reality in October 2004 when
an enthusiastic group of people got together and decided that many
nice donkeys were unwanted, unappreciated and often found
themselves in the meat pen at an auction.


We are a Michigan based non profit organization dedicated to the health
and welfare of miniature, standard and mammoth donkeys.


Some thoughts on that (and I am seriously not making fun of the donkey rescue people)-
1. Aside from petting zoos, have I ever even seen a donkey in Michigan?
2. Is there a donkey overpopulation problem?
3. I wonder what a mammoth donkey looks like.

And so, in light of this new information, I have decided to adopt a donkey instead of a jack russell.

Here's my question for you, though. Why are donkeys funny? When I read Turning Pointe Donkey Rescue is operated by volunteers who are committed to Donkeys and giving them a second chance, it makes me laugh. But if you put 'cat' in place of 'donkey', it wouldn't be funny.
Why?

Chew on that one, my friends, chew on that one.

No comments: