Tuesday, September 27, 2005

One of these things is not like the other. One of these things is not the same...

So, Bronxville has this gentleman, whom I presume is a bum.
**Note- I want you all to know that I sat there for a few minutes and tried to come up with a more P.C. term than 'bum'. I couldn't think of anything.
Anyhow, he's always walking around Bronxville, or sitting on benches in front of the bar, and he has a serious case of the shakes, and kind of a crazy limp, and he wears very different clothing and he's an all-around odd looking guy. I'm not trying to be down on the guy, I'm just telling you the facts, here.
So the other day we're walking somewhere and he's coming around the corner, and Rob nods at him and says "How are you?"
Okay, admit it, you're expecting him to say something wierd, or talk in a cracked out voice, or something like that.
He says "I'm very good, thank you." In a totally non-crazy, 'I'm not a guy with the shakes' voice. Totally normal voice.
So we walk a little farther and then we turn to each other and go "What the hell was that?"
So now, I'm feeling bad, I'm thinking, "That guy isn't a bum, Laura. He just has a disorder or something. You just presume he's a bum because he has a little shakey-limpy problem."

Not a week later, we're coming out of the pizza place and there he is sitting on the bench talking to an old woman saying "Well, actually, the current administration..."
and again, I'm like, 'you're terrible, Laura'.

And then yesterday, we're walking up to the track, and there he is bent over a trash can, picking out the cans.

Can someone explain this to me?
My sister (super sleuth extraordinaire) thinks he might be Jimmy Hoffa, hiding out.

Does this not sound like a Hallmark movie? homeless man with secret past moves to town, people ridicule, people find out he is smart, man teaches town a lesson they'll never forget and in the end, the local university invites him as a lecturer and grants him an honorary degree. He stands at the podium, tears streaming down his face, as the town gives him a standing ovation, no longer so narrow-minded as to believe that we can judge people's worth based on appearance. *sigh*

6 comments:

academicecs said...

Sounds to me like a sort of intelligent person. Oh wait! He may be a resent retiree. Maybe a teacher who now has nothing to do but wander aimlessly among the masses seaching for the meaning of life. He probably recognizes the wasteful ways of our society and seeks to help mankind by returning those things that be used again and not just become a burden to our already fragile environment. I feel a connection, a bond if you will. We are not animals, that old man and I. We are human beings with thoughts, feelings and yes, purpose. We pity those who wish to sterotype us as vagrants, perverts and bums. We can still contribute to society and help to bring rational thought to the mysteries of life. You'll have to excuse me now. My favorite bench downtown is calling me.

Lola said...

Wow, Dad! That was crazy. How do you explain the shaking, though? Also, are you hanging out downtown during the day? Mom, please keep a better eye on Dad, he's scaring the community. Why don't you start a giant garden, Dad?

academicecs said...

So, you still continue with your sterotyping ways! Some lessons are never learned. A giant garden eh? Maybe I should just go hang out at the bingo hall. Or better yet, get on a bus with a Hawaiian shirt and camera and travel to exotic places like Frankenmuth! People like that old man and I don't have a chance as long as people like you look at us through "myopic" eyes and don't see us for who we really are. Oops! Oprah's on. Gotta go!

jon jon said...

So, all sorts of posts here. And that's fine, but don't expect me to get all sorts of involved in a conversation that's already started (the spelling of the word recent, the kinkiness or lack thereof of Lola's Avatar, or even the smarts of the 'bum' (I prefer Wino myself) in question. I just wanted to say -- yes, it sounds kind of like a movie. It's called With Honors and it stars Brenden Frasier and Joe Pesci. It's freaking wonderful and brilliant. It doesn't end quite the way that you're hallmark movie ends, but... still... very very similar. netflix the movie. It's wonderful.

Joseph said...

I want to leave a comment too.

You can't be a wino unless you drink wine, and just because you're homeless doesn't mean you became that way because of too much vino.

Lola said...

Hey, Erin, don't worry, Mom loves you, too.. just in a different way. Remember that time we found that dog down the street and we felt so sorry for it? She loves you like that.
HAHAHAHAHAHA