Monday, June 19, 2006

I fought an old man and.. the old man won.

Here's me on Saturday: There's a Farmer's Market a block from my house, so I thought I'd hang up a yard sale sign so all the people coming out of the f.m. would know it was there- I get done tacking it up and I'm walking away when this elderly gentleman yells "Excuse me" to me-
Me: Yeah? (with a smile on my face, because I think he's about to ask me where the yard sale is and I'm prepared to give him directions)
Him: Do you have a permit to put that sign up?
Me: I don't think you need a permit for a garage sale sign
Him: Well, those signs are illegal and I don't appreciate them in my neighborhood
(Note to reader: His 'neighborhood' consists of a parking lot and baseball field. There's not a damn house in sight)
Me: Well, I don't think it's a big deal as long as I take them down at the end of the day
Him: Well, I'm going to call the police and see what they have to say about that.

So what do I do? Do I tell him to take his snobby butt and call the police? No. I take it down because I am a freaking CHICKEN. C-H-I-C-K-E-N.
And then I go home and come up with about 20 sarcastic things I could have said to him. Because god forbid I come up with something snappy when I have the chance to actually say it to someone.
Way to fight crime in the neighborhood buddy. Way to tell those sign-hangers where to go.
And the funny thing is, when I went home, I called the damn police MYSELF and what do they say "Oh, as long as you take them down at the end of the day, it's not a big deal."
I'm going to go find that guy and I'm going to tack up about 20 signs on the telephone pole nearest to his house and one of them's going to say HEY YOU. YEAH YOU, YOU SUCK.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I don't know... a good punch to the face never hurt anyone. Much.

Lola said...

I was thinking the same thing, but people get upset when you say you're going to punch old people in the face, so I downplayed it a little. But you and I both know I was thinking about punching him.