Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Match Maker, Match Maker...

Today, I got to match up roommates for the incoming freshman class. When I was a freshman, I thought they had these big elaborate processes for matching up roommates. Like, a database or something where you put in all the info and tells you who will go best with who. Yeah right. They pay attention to if they're smokers and if they like to stay up late. After that, they handed me big piles and said "Here, match people up". I am pretty sure I just matched up some life-long friends, though. For instance, the two "I Heart Japanese culture" girls. Japanese culture is cool and all, but for two people to love it enough (neither of whom were actually Japanese) to spend space on the precious two lines you get for "interests"? That, my friends, was fate. These girls were MEANT to room together. So what did I do? I, the hand of fate, matched them up in a cozy little triple with a girl who was interested in other cultures (why not Japanese cultures!?!). Say it with me now. Life. Long. Friends. In ten years, these girls will all be living in Japan together. Wearing I Heart Laura shirts.
Happiness. I am the bringer of Happiness.
Also, there was a girl who said "I'm a practicing Muslim and I need to pray and fast." So, I searched high and low for another practicing Muslim. And now they will be happy happy friends.
There were times, however, that I was tempted to ruin people's first year of college. For instance the girl who said "I grew up in the East Village and I prefer a hip environment." Yeah, I almost hooked her up with Anime girl and the girl who said "My interests are vintage clothing and world peace".
But I didn't.
Because I am the bringer of Happiness.

No comments: