Monday, March 22, 2004

Mystery Solved and "Yes, my foot fits nicely in my mouth, thank you."

First of all, the previous post was actually written yesterday- I was writing on my crappy lap top that I use in the ISS room and the only graphic that popped up was the avocado. Today, one of the teachers was sick, so I'm subbing instead of doing ISS and Im using an actual computer, and VOILA! all my fruit is at the top of the page. Mystery solved. But I thought it was kind of a funny post and decided to post it anyways...

On another note, I had an interview for the ISS position this morning (yes, for the job I already have. Because of some type of union stuff they have to interview me as some kind of formality before actually hiring me. You'll be happy to know that I landed the job I've been working at for a month and a half.) But we did the interview thing (kind of..) and then me and the vice principal were talking about some of the kids that end up in ISS. You know, I dont back down on my statement that a lot of those kids just act like complete jerks. But the truth is, I have no idea what it's like to be in their place. Let's face it, I am a middle class white girl. And while I am proud of, and make a big deal about, the fact that I pay for everything including my college by myself and I have worked since I was 14, the truth is I am priviledged. I always had a nice, warm comfortable house to come home to. My parents are still married. Not only did my parents never do any type of drug, there wasn't even alcohol in my house when I was growing up. I was given a car for my last two years of high school. I have never ever, as far as I can recall, been hit by my parents in any way.
The vice principal was telling me about how she doesnt even suspend some kids because she knows that they'll get the shit beat out of them at home if she does. When I have kids in ISS, without fail, at least one of them has a parent in jail. I dont think I even know anyone who's parents were in jail. And while I dont feel that all of this makes me snobby or uncaring about their lives, nor do I feel that it validates their misbehavior, the truth is I dont know what its like to be in that position.

No comments: