Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Why I will never EVER have and utilities through SBC Ameritech again

On Sunday, Jon called and said "why is your phone disconnected?". Or maybe he asked Rob, and Rob asked me. Regardless, I was not aware that my phone was not working. Then I thought about it, and my DSL wasn't working, but I hadn't thought anything of that because our DSL seems to be constantly messed up. So yesterday I call SBC to find out what the deal is. Let me give you a little background info first. Im moving out of my apartment in 2 and a half weeks, so I called SBC last Monday to tell them I wanted everything shut off on April 24th. The lady I talked to that time was incredibly nice and even though I was on the phone for a half hour with her, mostly on hold, it was okay because she was making sure that I wouldn't default on my year long contract if I disconnected on April 24th. So she says everything is fine, and I hang up.
Now, back to yesterday. I call the lady, and she says that service was cancelled on March 24th, per customer request. I tell her that, no, it was supposed to be April 24th, the other lady must have made a typo. Do you KNOW what she said to me??? "Well, we disconnected that last wednesday. Why are you just now calling?"
UM, EXCUSE ME??? Oh, you're right, I should have noticed earlier, my fault. What the hell does it matter why Im just now calling? So then, she says to me "Well, I cant just hook the phone back up because you had a year long contract that ended in April, and since it was cut off in March you have to pay an early termination fee." ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! DO YOU HEAR WHAT YOURE SAYING??? YOU'RE the one who cut it off!! you made the mistake!! So I freaked out on her, and she has her manager take the fee off. But does it end there? No, of course it doesnt. This whole situation is too asinine to end there. Then, she tells me that she cant hook the phone back up, because in order to start the phone, Ill need to sign another one year contract. Yeah, because thats going to happen. To make a long story short, the problem was fixed freaking 45 minutes later, when I arrived to work unshowered, because it took me that long to explain to the woman that I wouldnt be signing or paying anything and that she would be hooking my service back up. Absolutely, without question, the worst customer service I have ever received. And the phone wont even be back on until tomorrow, and the DSL wont be back for anothe two days. GET REAL.

No comments: