Monday, October 25, 2004

Slice of life with Dolores

I'd like to let you in on a part of my daily life. A woman named Dolores lives down the hall from me, I would say she was about 75, and we always seem to be leaving at the same time, so we take the elevator down together. And we have the same conversation. Every day. Don't get me wrong, I like Dolores just fine. But is it possible to have the EXACT same conversation every day? To all you disbelievers, I answer 'yes'. Please see transcript from daily elevator ride with Dolores below.
Dolores: Oh hello!
Me: Hi Dolores, how are you?
Dolores: Oh, fine, fine. It's chilly today!
Me: Yeah, it's getting pretty cold.
[Laura and Dolores enter elevator]
Dolores: So, tell me, how do you like it here?
(at this point, Dolores looks deeply concerned, and even if I hated it, even if I was contemplating suicide, I would still have to tell Dolores I liked it, because she seems very concerned)
Me: Oh, we like it a lot.
Dolores: Yeah, it's quiet, you never hear nothin.
Me: Yeah, that's nice though.
Dolores: 44 years I live here, I never hear nothin. People keep to themselves. Never had no problem with anyone here.
Me: Yeah, everyone's really nice.
Dolores: And your husband? Rod? How does he like his job?
(I've corrected Dolores a few times, but now, I've just decided to let him be Rod)
Me: Oh, his job's going really well.
Dolores: Oh good, good. He's so nice.
[Elevator reaches lobby]
Me: Okay, well have a good day
Dolores: Yeah, you too, sweetheart.
Do you think Dolores doesn't remember that we've had this conversation? Or do you think she's going "Geez, that Laura, never nothing new to say"?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

actually laura, i just got done reading Dolores' blogger...her's what she said, verbatim...

"today i got on the damn elevator again, only to see that stupid girl named Laura. She never has anything new to say...i swear, in my 45 years of living here, i have never met anyone so dull and boring. Hopefully one day she will just stop talking to me."

so don't think she isn't on to you, okay? Thanks and good riddance

Lola said...

HA! SHES ONLY LIVED HERE FOR FORTY FOUR YEARS! YOU LOOOOOOOOSE ERIN, YOU LOOOOOOSE!

Anonymous said...

okay, while you may be right about my 5 year off comment, you are six years off with yours...cuz this is your brother, you FOOL! SO HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA AT YOU!

Joseph said...

Burn dude. Burn. Lola, you got burned. Wow. Burn!