Saturday, February 17, 2007


A Story About a Robotlady
and $34.25

So. Mardi Gras is... this Tuesday? Last Tuesday? Anyhow, Mardi Gras is upon us. Every week at run camp they have little themes and this week was mardi gras. Don't get me wrong, themes are cool with me and all, they're festive. So as I'm standing listening to the announcements, this lady, who apparently is part of the area running association, comes up and offers me a whole bunch of mardi gras beads.
I'm like "No, that's okay, I don't think I'll like running with those on."
She says "Are you sure?"
I say "Yeah, I'm sure."
So she's like "Well, you should at least take some and put them in your pockets."
Okay, all logic aside, logic like "why would I put mardi gras beads in my pocket?", I just don't want the beads. So I tell her I don't have any pockets. Which was a lie. You could see my pockets. She looked at me. I smiled.

Later on, we're out running. Somewhere around mile 4ish, I feel someone coming up behind me so I move over so they can pass me. But they don't pass. I look over. It's crazy bead woman. For your own personal mental picture, please note the following about this lady:
(1) She is uber-skinny
(2) Her hair is fully done and down on her shoulders
(3) She's wearing full makeup
(4) While the rest of us are bundled up in 8 layers of clothes and hats and gloves because it's 18 Fricking Degrees Outside, Bead lady is wearing running leggings and a long sleeved running shirt. That is all. No hat, no gloves.
(5) If you watch Grey's Anatomy, she looks like a super skinny version of that doctor that everyone hates because she's always hugging everyone and trying to 'heal with compassion'

Anyhow, she's running along and she looks over and says "Hi!"
Her hands are full of beads.
She says to me "You know, these beads don't really even bounce when you run!"
I pause. And then I say "....oh yeah?"
I am thinking the following things:
(1) Is this lady a crazy mutant running robot?
Evidence for: She's running outside in the bitter cold with very few clothes on, handing out beads and smiling. The smiling is what gives it away, really. There is no smiling in running.
Evidence against: none
(2) Why is this lady obsessed with me taking these beads???
My hypothesis: As a robot, she has been given an order to hand out beads and cannot carry out her order until I accept the beads.

What's probably going to happen: Bead lady is waiting for me outside my apartment security door as we speak. She is going to strangle me with mardi gras beads and stuff my face full of paczkis until I suffocate. Because no one says no to Mardi Gras. And no one says no to Robot Running Lady.

1 comment:

Joseph said...

Or...

She's an alien, from a planet more frigid than ours, so she is used to the cold. The beads are not really beads at all. They are either some kind of body snatching mind control device, or they are alien eggs that implant themselves in your chest as they hang around your neck (perhaps why women are subconsciously drawn to exposing their breasts for beads at Mardi Gras), then the alien baby gestates inside you for a short period before bursting through your chest and spreading beads to everyone else.

At any rate, robot or alien, avoid bead lady at all costs.