Monday, May 17, 2004

My day.

Tonight we made pizza on our new pizza stone. The pizza was fantastic and the kitchen is covered in flour. We must have been successful. In other news, I began the huge overwhelming and intimidating project that will be my summer. So before I run off to New York and have every word of every story I've written carefully scrutinized, I have begun the task of building up my 'in progress' writing folder. Basically, I need to get some stories going so that I have work to show in workshops and they need to be well on their way. At the end of the two years I have to have a book-length collection of short stories to earn my MFA. Im thinking mine is going to center around the idea of family- mostly non-traditional. Today, I started a story about a video game maker who falls in love with a migrant worker. Yeah, Im not so sure how that one is going to pan out either, but I have to say that I definately believe no story is wasted- My most successful story to date was the result of a memoir piece that failed horribly.
So today it started. I think one of the reasons that its so difficult to write is that you're almost afraid to put pencil to paper until you feel like you have a really good idea. Its like I'm afraid that I'm going to ruin the concept by starting a story line that may dead-end. Or I'm afraid of starting a story and spending tons of time on it, and then finding out that it didnt work out and now I've wasted all this writing time when I should have been thinking of a new idea. Oh well, that is the writing process to a tee, I should probably get used to it now.
In random and insignificant news, I went for a run today that was wonderful, because instead of running to a spot and then turning around and running back to where I started, I had Rob drop me off at a spot 2.5 miles from our house and I ran back to the house. It was so nice to feel like I was running TO somewhere instead of in a big freaking circle. Rob wants to go to bed now. 'night :)
P.S. Jackie- I wouldnt have signed the damn paper, and I would have stood up and told that guy he was an ignorant piece of... and then you and I could have knocked him off the stage and started a petition that made narrow-mindedness a federal offense and EVERYONE would have signed it. Grrr...

No comments: