Thursday, June 10, 2004

Hello Hello Hello!

Well, I had planned on updating at some point while I was here, but now its the last day and Im just getting to it.. oh well, here it is nonetheless...
What I have learned from the last 10 days is that my map-reading skills are shit. Seriously, no matter what, I read the mad, I think I'm going the right way.. and without fail I am going the complete opposite way that I want to go. The busdrivers are so nice to me here because they feel so sorry for me. It is 1:26 in the p.m. here, which means it took me just shy of 2 hours to find my hotel. Im an Eiget. On a positive note, I visited the Guinness Brewery today. It was incredible. I dont even like beer and it was incredible. And really, it could have been pretty boring, if you think about it, its basically an explanation on how their beer is made. But they made it so inventive and interesting. I would say it was now one of my top 3 favorite places in Ireland. And I bought some cool stuff there.
So a short trip itinerary-
Spent thursday night in Dublin- Lily and I stayed in this awesome room where two entire walls were windows overlooking the city- while this was cool for one night, it was slightly out of our price range. Also saw St. Stephens Green and more importantly, Harry Potter.
Friday- Went to Pheonix Park to the zoo, where animals dont seem to be caged up. Saw many adorable Irish children in their matching Catholic school uniforms. Saw one boy in particular who was creating a lot of trouble and wore glasses. Loved him instantly and considered stealing him.
Went to Maynooth where we met up with Pat, Paul and Martin and went out to some pubs in Dublin- afterwards ate "kabobs" at Paul's insistance that he could "Just MURRRder a kabob right now"
Saturday- headed down to Kinsale, stopped at the rock of Cashel on the way down. Kinsale turns out to be the cutest seaside town in the world. Went out to the pub again. Drank a lot of wine. Went to a nightclub.
Sunday- visited castles and forts and put our toes in the ocean. Went to the pub, where I drank coke, explaining to the boys that I'm American and my liver cant handle three days of heavy drinking.
Monday- went to Limerick to see Tomas and met his adorable son Dean. Went to a Calligh (okay, thats probably not the right spelling- its "Cay-lee" and its a traditional irish dance/music event)did NOT go to the pub.
Tuesday- went to Galway- saw the Cliffs of Moher on the way. Hung out. Saw a movie.
Wednesday- walked around Galway, bought a claddagh ring, got on a train for Tullamore. I love the train. Finished reading "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown which I recommend for the good story line despite the cheesy writing. Started "White Teeth" by Zadie Smith which I HIGHLY recommend in all ways.
So thats that. Im going to the Dublin Writers Museam now.
JOE PARCELL- I can help you find a cheap place to live in New York (I think...) we have this student webboard for my college that has all these listings- I will write you when I get back if you could still use a hand...
I will see you all soon.

No comments: