Saturday, June 12, 2004

Thoughts on the so-called "Continental" breakfast and Airport Sightings

Let me tell you how much I paid for breakfast yesterday morning. 6 Euros. That is roughly equivalant to $7.50 right now. So you're thinking, "no big deal, some nice pancakes or an omlette could be worth that" and I would agree with you. The problem however, is that this was the continental breakfast, consisting of a bowl of cereal, toast, juice and coffee. First things first-which part of that breakfast cost the restaurant $7.50? Was it the two slices of white bread? hmm..no, no, i dont think so. The juice? pretty sure no. OH! then it must have been the bowl of Rice Krispies. WHO THE HELL CHARGES THAT MUCH FOR CEREAL AND TOAST!?!? But really, lets get to the heart of my concerns- the title "continental breakfast". Where exactly did that come from? Is it because its the same breakfast no matter what continent you're on? Because I think that its false advertising. To me, the phrase "continental breakfast" makes me think "oh look at me! Im a breakfast as big as a continent!" or "this is the breakfast to keep you full if even if you're traveling across continents." The word "continental", to me, brings to mind a breakfast with a vast array of choices. I'll tell you what it doesnt bring to mind. Cereal and toast. I think that it should be called the "Light Breakfast" or, keeping with the landmass theme, "Alcatraz breakfast" or "really tiny piece of ice that broke off of the polar ice caps" breakfast. For god's sake, in the U.S. I could have gotten a big omelette with toast and fruit AND TIPPED THE WAITRESS for $7.50.
Interesting things spotted in various airports yesterday- A business man, wearing a suit jacket, dress shirt, tie, nice shoes and those dress socks pulled all the way to the top of his calves.. with pale yellow shorts. Hmm.
The mullet to end all mullets- All short in the front and on the sides.. and a mullet all the way down to his butt. You rock on, mullet man! dont you listen to anything anyone else says about it!

1 comment:

rob said...

I love mullets...they are the bomb. I think I'm going to get serious in the front, and partying in the behind. If you catch my meaning.