Saturday, January 22, 2005

Hey kids, did I ever tell you about the storm of '05?

Madness. So we're supposed to get 18 in. of snow today. That's a lot of snow. But not THAT much. It's enough that I decided not to go into the city and hang out with Sara like I was planning to, because I don't really want to DRIVE in a foot and a half of snow. But, I didnt think it was a huge deal. And then I tried to go grocery shopping this morning. First of all, there's a huge parking lot and it took me 20 min. to find a parking space. I actually had to do that thing where you stalk people back to their cars and turn you're blinker on and wait. But I get one. And I go in. There are no carts, anywhere in the store. There are no carts in the parking lot. I had to go up to someone who was unloading their groceries in their car and ask for their cart. The guy gave it to me and he's like "good luck, there's barely any food on the shelves" and I'm like haha and he's like, "no, I'm serious". And I go inside. There are A MILLION people in the freaking store. Okay, so there was food on the shelves, but there was definately a lot less than there usually is. There was no shredded cheese. Not one bag in the three foot long display case. Is there something I dont know about cheese? Is is some kind of survival food? There were a lot of other things that were gone too, so, for your convienience, I've made a list of things you need to buy in case of a snowstorm, based on what everyone else had bought out.
1. Jello Gelatin individually packed cups
2. Orange juice
3. CHEESE. ANY KIND OF CHEESE.
5. Milk for lactose intolerant people
Don't ask questions. If you're going to survive a blizzard you need these things.
After I finished shopping I waited in line. For 45 minutes. The lines stretched from the registers all the way down the food aisles.
Maybe people thought they said 18 feet of snow.

2 comments:

Joseph said...

I guess they're out of #4's at the store too.

If we got 18 inches of snow out here, there would be freakin' murders. It would be like Road Warrior, and we'd all switch to the barter system as money would become fuel for fires. Alcohol, drugs, and daughters would be worth food and shelter. People would burn down their own homes just to keep warm. People wear scarfs out here when it gets below 65. I'm not joking, I saw a girl in mittens a cap and a scarf, dressed in full winter gear, and it was literally 62.

Good luck in the storm. And remember, cannibalism should be a LAST resort.

jon jon said...

We got a lot of snow last night... Don't know exactly how much, but I do know that when I cleaned off my car today it took me 15 minutes, and I got snow up to my knee (but, that was from the car -- it piled up. The original snow made it about 1/2 to my knee). G'luck... And remember, Canabalism should be at least a third resort. Unless there's someone in your building who just looks extra tasty...