Thursday, September 16, 2004

In recap...

So Michael Moore came and spoke at my school on Monday. It got way too intense, so it took me this long to come up with what I was going to write. On one hand, I think that he is a bit defensive. Because really, if you make movies about controversial subjects, you should be prepared to deal with lots of dissenting opinions. On the other hand, I feel like younger people who admire him think of him as this like, god or something. They think that he has all the answers. Like this kid that raises his hand and asks him "so how are we going to get out of Iraq?" and he's like "I don't know, I didn't think that we should have gone in the first place" and the kid is like "yeah, but now that we're there, how do we get out without it being taken over by warlords and stuff" and he's like "seriously, I don't know" and they got mad at him. Seriously people, he's not your elected official who's job is to come up with policies- he's a filmmaker who just so happens to expose government lie type stuff. I don't think that just because you say "our government is wrong" that you should have to say "and here's how I plan to fix it" Isn't it enough to show that something's wrong? Isn't that kind of like the first step to changing it? Anyways- so I have this thing where I get really really nervous for people. Like, if someone stands up and asks a dumb question, I get nervous for them like it was me that was doing it. There were several points where I almost had to leave because I was so nervous and embarrassed. One of the girls had been arrested for protesting at the RNC and she stood up and asked him if he would pay the legal costs for the 12 people who had been arrested from the school. Um... No. This is what I'm talking about- they're like "oh, Michael Moore, he hates the Republicans, he'll help us fight injustice by paying for our legal fees" Seriously people, he's not your liberal sugar daddy, it's not going to happen.

1 comment:

Joseph said...

Socrates was famous for pointing out people were wrong and having no idea what was right. But Socrates was kind of a douchebag. I really like Michael Moore, even though I think sometimes he can be kind of a douchebag too. That's pretty sweet that you got to go see him.