Monday, November 14, 2005

Again last night, I'm at the coffeeshop, writing. This kid sits down at the table next to me with some girl and I get the feeling they vaguely know each other, but just barely. So they start talking, blah blah blah, and already I can tell he's one of those coffeeshop people. For some reason coffeeshops seem to attract these people that think they're all deep and meaningful. I don't know what it is. It's funny as hell to listen to, though. Anyways, this particular guy happens to have some major chip on his shoulder about college. After a while he stops his conversation, looks over at me and says "How can you stand to sit here and type?"
At first, I think he means how can I type in here when it's so loud, because it is pretty loud, and I turn to him and say "Actually, it's easier for me to work on stuff when there's some noise."
That's not what he's talking about though.
"No. I mean, that's college work, right? How can you stand to just sit around and type? Isn't it all so pointless? Don't you feel like they're just making you jump through hoops for nothing?"
Oh good God. You're so damn deep I just can't even fathom you.
So I say to him. "No, I don't. I'm a writer. Typing is what I do."

He then proceeds to attack this poor girl he's with for going to college. ("I moved here when I went to college" "Well, why did you go to college?") Hey, I respect if college isn't your thing. Why do you have to go around being down on people who like school though? I like school. I think it's a good time.

No comments: