Sunday, May 13, 2007

First and Then Second

First of all, here are some pictures from Ryan & Rebecca's bday party last night and Mother's Day today...




























































My mom is the only one who looks cute in this picture, but I guess it is her day...

Second. I about wet my pants when I read this to Rob yesterday. This is a letter to Dear Abby in the newspaper yesterday. It's funny enough that I'm willing to retype the entire thing here. Half of you will think it's hilarious and half will think I'm a big bitch for thinking it's funny. And, you know, you're both right...

Dear Abby:
Next to your column in today's newspaper was an article about a coming fad. It's camouflage clothing for young children. In part, it read, "The juxtaposition of the rough and rugged with the soft babyness is what gives the look its ying-yang charm. Kids in camo are, quite simply, adorable." As a retired 30-year veteran of law enforcement, I don't think it's adorable. I view it as a dangerous fad for children. During my many years of service in law enforcement, I participated in dozens of searches for lost children.
Abby, every year thousands of children are lost in this country. Some are found in a few hours, some in a few days, but others are never found. If you put just 2 or 3 percent of the children vacationing in the mountains, parks and wilderness areas of this and other countries in camouflage outfits, you will see even more tragedy because these lost children can't be seen. Lost children are hard enough to find when they are wearing red and orange outfits. If you dress a child in a camouflage outfit, she or he could be missed from 20 feet.
Please discourage parents from using these outfits- especially if they are traveling in the countryside or any other out-of-the-way place.
Sincerely,
Law Enforcement Veteran


Want to get rid of your kids? Throw them in the woods in camo. It's just that easy. Which reminds me of the time that my mom bought me that camo shirt in high school. I'm on to you, mom. Happy Mother's Day indeed.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I mean, the guy may have a point under these circumstances:
1. The child is mute.
2. The child has no limbs.
In this scenario, the child would blend in with the forest surroundings without being able to alert the officials 20 feet away who are looking for its sad, lost little soul because SOMEHOW, it wandered away by its camo'ed, limbless, mute self.